This historic seaside village of just more than 3,000 residents in the Town’s northwest corner, sitting along Cape Cod Bay and astride Route 6A —Old Kings Highway — is quintessential Cape Cod. Originally settled as a farming community, today it is mainly residential with pockets of shops, a few bed & breakfasts, glorious period architecture, cranberry bogs and its renowned and popular six-mile Sandy Neck barrier beach. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, an influx of Finnish immigrants settled here; the village’s east side is sometimes called “Finn Town.” The magnificent signature 1717 West Parish meetinghouse at the village crossroads reaches for the heavens it invokes. A nostalgic train station marks a stop on the Cape Cod Railroad, replete with stationary train cars, plus village and feed stores, art gallery and furniture crafters. The village comprises Great Marsh; Sandy Neck and several smaller beaches; 1,100-acre West Barnstable; Bridge Creek; Otis Atwood; and Jenkins Wildlife Sanctuary Conservation Areas, Cape Cod Community College, Cape Cod Conservatory of Music, Art, Drama and Dance plus pockets of residential and mercantile properties.
You are here: / / / West Barnstable Village