The Centerville Public Library is seeking an enthusiastic Youth Services Director to provide a welcoming, positive atmosphere to library patrons and visitors in our dynamic library. You will be responsible for implementing innovative, educational, and fun programs and events for children and young adults throughout the year and managing both young adult and children’s services and collections. Excellent communication skills with children, parents, caregivers, and special needs populations. Working with the community, coordinating programs with schools and local youth programs, and collaborating with other local YSDs on summer events and programs is required. You will supervise one full-time assistant and be responsible for staffing the children’s room with volunteers and part-time assistants as needed. Serve as a team member with other library staff in meeting the needs of the library. Responsibilities include the following:
• Monitor programming and materials budgets.
• Develop fundraising programs for the library.
• Plan and execute meaningful pre-school curriculum as a teacher of CPL weekly story hour.
• Act as reader’s advisor for children, young adults, and their parents.
• Utilize community adult, teen and special needs volunteers in different ways: as readers, program leaders, shelvers, etc.
• Answer reference questions and assist with research and homework assignments.
• Design displays and exhibits, promotional materials, flyers, booklists, etc. that are of interest to children, young adults, and their families.
• Submit monthly reports to the Library Board of Trustees.
• Work with the Library Director on developing website and online content for youth.
• Participate in town, local, regional and state programs and workshops.
• Assist with circulation and desk duties as needed.
This is a benefited 35-hour week position; some evening and/or weekend work may be required. Ability to work during school vacations. Pay range is $31,000 – $44,700 commensurate with experience.
Bachelor’s degree preferred plus experience working with children in a library or similar setting. Creativity, enthusiasm, and a passion for reading and working with children are essential. Strong computer skills required & a knowledge of automated library systems preferred.
Position available immediately until filled. E-mail letter, resume, and 3 professional references to Anita Bennett, Library Director, firstname.lastname@example.org