Position Title: President and Chief Executive Officer
Purpose of Position
Reports to the Chairperson of the Board of Directors serving as the chief executive officer of the Greater Hyannis Chamber of Commerce performing complex leadership, management, and professional work in managing and completing the Chamber’s program of work; developing and implementing administrative and operating structure and procedures; organizing and motivating staff and volunteers; developing and managing all financial operations of the Chamber; overseeing membership goals and activities; developing and maintaining effective business relations with member businesses and effective governmental relations with local, regional, state, and federal government officials and agencies; oversee administration of Cape Cod Charitable Fundraiser Events; manage all social media platforms and online presence; representing the Chamber using various platforms including written, verbal, video and radio; and working with Board of Directors to develop policy and strategic/operational plans.
The essential functions or duties listed below are intended only as illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related, or a logical assignment to the position.
- Develop Chamber budget for review and approval by Board, set budget goals for sales revenue and expenses, work with Board Finance Committee and Treasurer monthly to monitor budget, provide Board monthly revenue and expense information; implement budget and maintain positive monthly cash-flow.
- Attend all Board and other Board Committee meetings to report on implementation of budget, program of work, Chamber events; and membership, government relations, economic development, marketing, and tourism activities.
- Work with Board and staff to develop and implement Chamber policy, and Chamber strategic and operational plans, reporting regularly to the Board accomplishment of goals and objectives.
- Work with Board Committees and staff to develop and implement each Committee’s program of work.
- Develop event schedules and event sales and expense budget estimates, assign staff and volunteer coordinators to run each event, work with staff and the marketing committee to effectively market and promote each event, work with staff to solicit and secure event sponsors, and evaluate each event with staff and volunteers to ensure continuous improvement in event activity.
- Attend Chamber events as Chamber representative; serve as Chamber spokesperson with media and at community events.
- Develop goals and manages staff and activities, displays, and capital improvements to the Chamber Visitor Center and offices.
- Develop member recruitment goals with staff and the Membership Committee, develop and implement with staff a membership recruitment, retention, and benefits program; evaluate staff achievement of sales goals.
- Coordinate staff and marketing committee development of member advertising opportunities and sales goals, regularly monitor implementation of advertising and sales efforts, and coordinate Internet-related advertising sales with Chamber Webmaster and assigned staff.
- Hire, train, lead, manage, evaluate, discipline, and/or terminate staff of the Chamber consistent with Chamber policy and procedure; and determine position responsibilities. Work collaboratively with Chamber staff to develop staff performance goals and objectives, work schedules, event schedules, and accomplishment of the Chamber’s goals and objectives.
- Meet regularly with local appointed and elected officials, attending local and/or other governmental body meetings to affect the accomplishment of the Chamber’s policies, plans, goals, and objectives; reporting to Board monthly.
- Prepare for and make presentations to governmental agencies and officials on behalf of the Chamber on issues of interest to the Chamber and its members and business community.
- Oversee and manage the execution of Cape Cod Charitable Fundraiser events and administration for a management fee.
- Maintain and update all social media platforms and websites ensuring the message is consistent with the Chamber’s vision and mission.
- Promote the Chamber through various outlets including written, verbal, video and radio platforms.
- Maintain positive relationships with other Chamber of Commerce.
- Communicate externally with members, potential members, community representatives and government representatives in a positive and professional fashion
- Perform other functions as assigned.
Employee supervises professional staff and hires, terminates, evaluates, and disciplines subordinate employees. Employee works under administrative direction, working from Chamber policies and objectives employee establishes short-range plans and objectives, own performance standards and assumes direct accountability for Chamber results. Consults with Board Chair where clarification, interpretation, or exception to company policy may be required. The employee participates and monitors the development of Chamber policies, goals, objectives and budgets. The employee is expected to resolve conflicts that arise and coordinate with others as necessary. Employee has access to confidential employee files.
Judgment and Complexity
The work requires examining, analyzing and evaluating facts and circumstances surrounding individual problems, situations or transactions, and determining actions to be taken within the limits of standard or accepted practices. Guidelines include Chamber policies and administrative procedures, contract documents, and management principles, which may be complex or conflicting, at times.
Duties involve the evaluation and interpretation of factors, conditions or unusual circumstances and evaluating compliance with established standards to ensure work is effective and within budget.
Position has constant contact with members, Board members, government officials, members of the business community and staff to carry out the responsibilities of leading and managing the Chamber.
Physical Demands and Work Environment
Position works in a quiet office up to 2/3rd of the time and in an outdoors setting up to 1/3rd of the time. Position stands, walks, and reaches with hands or arms up to 1/3rd of the time; and sits and listens, or talks or hears more than 2/3rd of the time. Position occasionally lifts up to 10 pounds and seldom lifts up to 30 pounds. Vision is required to read and prepare documents and reports, perform financial calculations, and operate office and networked computers. Position responsibilities require employee to work outside normal business hours, including early morning, evening, and/or weekend work. Equipment used includes computers, telephones, and cellular phones.
Qualifications and Experience Desired
A Bachelor of Science degree required in business management or related field with a minimum five to seven years experience in managing a business or association management preferred.
Demonstrated experience in developing and implementing policies, procedures, schedules, marketing materials and budgets as they relate to all components of business planning, administration, human resources, and implementation, as well as effective supervision of subordinate staff is required.
Applicant must be able to demonstrate advanced organizational skills, leadership skills, presentation skills, time management, financial and analytic skills, and strategic vision.
Applicant must demonstrate superior ability in written, verbal, and interpersonal communications.
Applicant must demonstrate proficiency in use of contemporary computer software (word, spreadsheets, presentations), and social media; as well as demonstrate ability to use design software.
Knowledge of Cape Cod, Barnstable and Hyannis area business, changing dynamics and community is desired.
All resumes should go to email@example.com and the deadline to apply is September 1st.