The Steamship Authority (SSA), serving passengers from Woods Hole, Hyannis, Nantucket, Oak Bluffs and Vineyard Haven, is accepting entries for its annual art contest for students in grades K-12 living in the SSA’s constituent communities. Students living in Barnstable, Fairhaven, Falmouth, Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket and New Bedford are invited to participate. Thirteen prize winners will be selected and the winning artwork will be showcased in a 2018 calendar, as well as displayed on the SSA’s website and exhibited on board SSA ferries.
The contest theme “Sail into Imagination” was conceived to encourage students to share their vision of traveling aboard SSA ferries to Cape and Islands ports and to inspire artistic interpretations of growing up by the sea.
“We launched this contest last year and were very impressed with the incredible talent and creativity of our local student artists. Each entry was truly unique and depicted individual interpretations of traveling aboard our ferries between Cape Cod and the islands of Martha’s Vineyard and Nantucket. This year, we have added an online submission feature on our website and will also accept hard copies of original artwork at Steamship Authority Terminals,” said Wayne Lamson, General Manager of the SSA.
In addition to having their art displayed in the calendar and on SSA ferries, student winners will be awarded gift certificates for passenger travel aboard a SSA ferry and an invitation to attend the official art unveiling reception hosted by the SSA.
Students are invited to submit entries online, through the mail or by dropping their submissions at Steamship Authority Terminals no later than June 14, 2017. Winners will be announced on the Steamship Authority’s website on June 26th.
How to Enter
- Submissions must be original artwork created by a student in grades K-12 enrolled in a Barnstable, Fairhaven, Falmouth, Martha’s Vineyard, Nantucket or New Bedford school. Homeschooled or school-choice students living in these same communities are also eligible to participate. There is no cost to enter.
- All entries must be original work inspired by and including a reference to the SSA or illustrate the “Sail into Imagination” contest theme. Artwork should include a SSA ferry and elements that showcase seaside life or unique attributes or landmarks from a specific constituent community.
- Drawings, paintings and sketches will be accepted. Oil, acrylic, watercolor, pastel, pen, pencil, ink or some combination of those media will be accepted. Photographs, photocopies or traced images will be disqualified. (No photography or 3-D designs will be accepted.)
- Each student may submit one design which must be submitted with a completed Contest Entry Form/Release signed by the student’s parent or legal guardian. Artwork submitted without this required paperwork will not be accepted.
- The student’s name, address, telephone number, grade and school must be included on the back of the artwork.
- All artwork must be original and cannot include any trademarks, corporate branding, logos or copyright infringements. No student names can appear on the front of the artwork or within the design.
- A total of 13 winning entries will be selected based on originality, creativity, interpretation of contest theme and visual appeal.
- All entries will be reviewed by a panel of community representatives chosen by the SSA.
- Artwork must be submitted on either an 11×17 sheet of paper, canvas or other flat surface that does not exceed 16” tall by 20” wide. Designs must be in landscape/horizontal format, and should not be folded.
- By submitting artwork for consideration, all entrants consent to having their creations exhibited on board SSA ferries or at SSA terminals and included in the printing of a 2018 calendar to be distributed by the SSA. All submitted artwork shall become property of the SSA and will not be returned.
- Deadline for entries is June 14, 2017. Entries may be digitally scanned or photographed and must be submitted online at: http://sailintoimagination.com. PDF or JPEG files will be accepted for online entries. Hard copies of original artwork may be dropped off at a Steamship Authority Terminals or mailed to: Steamship Authority Art Contest, c/o Kimberlee McHugh/Marketing Department, 509 Falmouth Road, Suite C, Mashpee, MA 02649. Late entries will not be accepted.
- For official contest rules, entry instructions or to download a Contest Entry/Release Form, visit: https://www.steamshipauthority.com/sailintoimagination.